Monday, July 26, 2021

Be Empathetic and Listen !!




 “Congrats, wishing you a very happy marriage anniversary, you guys are absolutely made for each other”,

“that’s a great family picture!!, I am happy for you”

“Wow, did you make that by yourself ?? You are great learner”

“Hey buddy, though I am undergoing some issues myself, but I want you to know that I am always there for you”.

Above were lines from my communication with 3 different persons who had suicidal thoughts at some point in their live times and who accidentally come in touch with me in last 10 years, during my MBA studies, work life and all I did was shown empathy (15%) , asked their wellbeing (15%) and listened (70%)

I am glad that these people are doing well now though I may not be able to gauge their satisfaction but the conversation with them gives appearance that they are much better than what they were feeling earlier.

Often we hear, from motivation gurus and read quotes like your circle defines who you are , you have to stay away from “still” people who don’t have goals or personal ambitions , time heals everything etc.

And I feel that this is sometimes lead to further demotivate people thinking they may not be able to make through the cut or gel well along with others and may provoke them to take extreme step to end their lives.

So, next time , if some one tries to open up with you, do listen with empathy , even if you don’t want to ask the questions , that may result in saving someone’s precious life.

Have a more empathetic day !!

Pic courtesy : www.vecteezy.com

#empathy #listening #humanemotions #behuman #empathetic #care


No comments:

Post a Comment